7.13.2010

Well, the truth is...

I would never say that I have all the answers, and really I see myself as very far from having it all figured out. I say this so that no one gets the wrong impression. But let me say this: Truth is not defined by what I decide it is. Some may say, "Of course not," while others may say I'm wrong on that point, but it is fact.

I found it interesting the way that the word truth is defined in the New Oxford American Dictionary:

"Truth: that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality"


Our culture, and really most cultures, believe that truth is relative. No? How many times, just as I, have you said something like, "I don't know what you believe, but I think..." or, "I don't want to cram this down their throat," or even, "That belief is right for them but not for me"?


TRUTH IS REALITY!


"So Pilate entered his headquarters again and called Jesus and said to him, 'Are you the King of the Jews?'
Jesus answered, 'Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?'
Pilate answered, 'Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered you over to me. What have you done?'
Jesus answered, 'My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.'
Then Pilate said to him, 'So you are a king?'
Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.'
Pilate said to him, 'What is truth?'"

(John 18:33-38)


This struck me as Jesus states His purpose for being born and His purpose for coming into the world: "to bear witness to the truth." That itself was something I found amazing, but what also struck me was Pilate's response to Jesus: "What is truth?"


Believers, listen closely. To say that truth is relative, that everyone's belief of God is right for them, that to call believers out on their falsities and sin would be judgmental and should be avoided, is the opposite of Jesus purpose for His time one earth.


Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven and righteousness.
(John 14:6)

Eternal life is knowing God experientially and intimately.
(John 17:3)

We are to seek God before anything else.
(Matthew 6:33)

All creation's purpose is the glory of God.
(Acts 17:24-27)



That's the truth. That is reality.



Thanks for reading.
Please comment with your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. this is Bean checking in. what up bro? dig the first post.

    such a controversial topic for some reason...

    wait... truth... exISTS?!?!? what a concept!

    yet truth isn't truth because it comes for Jesus. Jesus IS the truth itself. So all that flows from him is a condition of what the truth is - an aspect of the character and nature of Christ.

    i'd love for you to comment on my blog as well. i added you on my friends blog list

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://limitlessatonement.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang nice first post Caleb. Very well said and written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks guys!

    Bean I agree with your point. Just as John 14:6 says that "I AM the truth." That is why Jesus says in that passage that He came to bear witness to the truth. He really came to bear witness to Himself as the truth. Good point.

    ReplyDelete